Listed Building record MDR8248 - All Saints' Church, Elton
Type and Period (2)
Post-Medieval church built in 1812 on the site of the previous church. According to Cox, the original dedication was to St. Margaret, though now it is to All Saints. (1-4) The old church consisted of nave and side aisles, south porch, chancel and tower. Its successor is a plain parallelogram with a plain western tower. A keystone above the south entrance is dated 1808. Some of the previous church's stones have been relocated to the Vicarage garden. (3) Church of All Saints is a grade II listed classical church, dating from 1812 with later alterations and additions. It is constructed of regularly coursed gritstone blocks, with coped gables and Welsh slate roof and nave and chancel. The font is a modern copy of the original, circa 1200, now in Youlgreave Parish Church. (5) An archaeological watching brief was carried out within the churchyard in 2007. During the watching brief four articulated burials and a sandstone wall thought to date to the earlier church was uncovered (see SMR 5364 for more details). (6)
- --- SDR24650 Unpublished document: Jacklin, A & Blues, S (ARS Ltd). 2019. An Archaeological Watching Brief at All Saints Church, Elton.
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 4020.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 209.
- <3> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 346-350.
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 372-373.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <6> SDR20779 Unpublished document: Shakarian, J (ARS). 2007. All Saints Church, Elton: report on a watching brief undertaken during drainage works.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2218 6098 (24m by 14m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 3 2020 3:14PM