Building record MDR827 - Okeover Almshouses, Mapleton
Type and Period (1)
- ALMSHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
(SK 16494810) Okeover Almshouses (NAT) (1) In 1727 Rowland Okeover gave lands to trustees for the building of three houses at Mapleton for clergymen's widows. (2) Okeover Almshouses (3) or Clergymen's Widows' Almshouses (4) is a fine 18th century brick building with ashlar dressings. It consists of two storeys and five bays with a central pediment and doorway of Gibbs type. Grade 2*. (3, 4)
- <1> SDR12043 Map: 1884. OS 6".
- <2> SDR8442 Bibliographic reference: Lysons. Magna Britannia 5 Derby 1817 204 (D & S Lyons).
- <3> SDR5530 Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR)Ashbourne RD Derby Aug 1961 33.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p270.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1648 4809 (18m by 8m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MAPLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2014 2:42PM