Monument record MDR8467 - Cairn (T29), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2461 6266]: T29. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) No excavation report has been published, but Heathcote undertook excavations between 1934-1938. (2) This is one of a cluster of seven cairns on Heathcote's map, all excavated - T3, T8, T31, T9, T30, T62 - the first three produced evidence of prehistoric burial. Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 and 1966 identified the site of T29. (3) Barnatt suggests the cairn was restored and gives a diameter of 4.5m, and describes the cairn as possessing a kerb and being flat-topped. (4) A height of 0.45m is given to the cairn. (5) SK 24619 62680: CAIRN. The cairn is roughly circular, 5m in diameter with a height of 0.4m, and is composed mostly of largish stones; a number of large stones around the perimeter are probably the remains of a kerb. Laid almost flat against the inner edge of the kerb at the W, within the body of the mound, is a large gritstone slab, maybe representing part of a cist. Circumscribing the mound is an excavation delineation trench. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. SK 2462/2562.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 76.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 79.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T29.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24620 62680 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM