Monument record MDR8468 - Cairn (T30), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2462 6267]: T30. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1934-1938. (2) This cairn is one of a cluster of seven on Heathcote's location map, all excavated. Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 and 1966 identified the site of T30. The OS record the whole group of cairns as 'so completely excavated that nothing remains but circular depressions partially infilled and surrounded by haphazard heaps of stones'. (3) A later study describes the monument as being an excavated, oval cairn 4.0m by 3.0m. (4) In a further survey, it is suggested that the monument was originally 9m in diameter but having most of the interior removed, possibly indicating the Heathcote's only excavated the central area. (5) SK 24624 62685: CAIRN. The monument is an irregular-shaped, unconsolidated low mound of large stones, 4.3m by 3.0m and 0.3m high, with a number of loose stones areound the edge indicative of a distrubed and relaid kerb. There is no evidence to suggest that only the central area has been excavated, although excavation itself has now destroyed the evidence. Its situation in close proximity to proven burial cairns would suggest a funerary context. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. see OS record card SK 26 SW 26.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. pp. 77-110.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 76.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T30.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24624 62686 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM