Monument record MDR8471 - Burial cairn (T8), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 24606265]T8. Low cairn, 15ft. diameter with an outer circle of larger stones, excavated 1930-4, when it was left open, the excavated material being thrown into the neighbouring quarry. A stone-covered pit at the centre contained a cremation with an incense cup and the remains of bronze tools or pins. Two cremations at the north edge were accompanied by burnt pieces of bronze. This cairn was first recorded and excavated between 1930-34 by Heathcote. (1) [SK 2460 6265]: T8. This is described by Heathcote as being 5.4m in diameter composed of large stones, with a defining ring which included six of the largest stones. A cremation was discovered in a pit just W of centre, under a large flat stone, itself covered with large flat stones. The cremation was accomapnied by an incense cup, some small pieces of burnt bronze and the remains of a pin. A second cremation containing two individuals, accompanied by burnt pieces of bronze, was discovered under the defining ring at the north. Two small flint flakes were recovered from the excavated material. (2) The excavated material was thrown into an adjoining quarry, and after excavation Heathcote states the cairn was left open. Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 identified the site of T8. (3) SK 24615 62676: BURIAL CAIRN. The monument appears as a ring of large flat stones, approximately circular, 4.5m in diameter and containing a small amount of loose stones. There is a large flat stone in the centre. (4)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 77-78.
- <3> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. SK 2462/2562.
- <4> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24616 62676 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM