Monument record MDR8481 - Cairn (T35), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2451 6273]: T35. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) It is known that some level of excavation was undertaken sometime between 1934-1938 (2), but no excavation report was published. Subsequent investigation by the OS Archaeological Division in 1962 failed to identify T35. In a later study, a feature surveyed at the position indicated by Heathcote is listed as being T35 and described as being a round cairn, approx. 5m in diameter and 0.25m high. (3) SK 24506 62742: CAIRN. T35 is visible as a low heap of loose weatherworn stones, approx. 2m in diameter and 0.2m high. Although no evidence of a Heathcote excavation trench was visible, the disturbance of the cairn is symptomatic of disassembly and casual re-erection. There is now little evidence to supply a context to this cairn, although is in close proximity ot other known burial cairns, T4, T12 and T36. (4)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p.40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <4> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T35.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24506 62742 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM