Monument record MDR8490 - Burial cairn (T23), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2474 6285]: T23. It is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1931-1933 (1), although this feature first appears in the archaeological record in 1936, depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. T23 is one of a close group of 6 cairns, 3 of which produced burials. Before excavation, T23 is described as being a small mound, roughly circular and approximately 8' (2.4m) in diameter. Excavation revealed a single cremation under a flat stone at the centre. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 and 1966 failed to identify this cairn. (3) Later surveys describe this feature as: an irregular cairn with a cist, 0.3m high and linked by an arm to another cairn (4); sub-triangular in shape, measuring 3.5m by 2.5m (5). SK 24755 62874: BURIAL CAIRN. The cairn is marked by a sub-triangualr area, 3.2m by 2.2m, defined by a revetment of loosley laid stones containing a plinth of loose earth and rubble infill. A small hollow near the centre with flattish stones visible has the appearance of a small ruined cist. No undisturbed areas of the cairn survive and circumscribing the mound is an excavation delineation trench. (6)
- <1> SDR7502 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1939. 'Excavations on Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, N. S. 13. p. 105, 115.
- <2> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS record card SK 26 SW 17.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T23.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24756 62874 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM