Monument record MDR8491 - Probable cairn (T27), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2481 6287]: T27. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that complet excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1934-1938. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 and 1966 failed to identify any remains of this cairn. (3) Later surveys describe T27 as an excavated, round kerbed cairn, 3m diameter and 0.2m high (4); a single entry as 'small' (5); and as having been restored, sub-oval in shape, measuring 3m by 2.5m and possessing a boulder kerb (6). SK 24835 62910: CAIRN. The dominant feature of the remains is a sub-oval ring os stones measuring 3.1m by 2m. Many of the stones are loose and are likely to have been disturbed in excavation and subsequently relaid. The inner area defined by the ring is largely devoid of stone. Partly circumscribing the mound is an excavation delineation trench. It is probable that the present restored ring represents a kerbing feature, and the lacke of restoration of a mound perhaps indicates that the monument was originally low, or disturbed. (7)
- --- SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1790.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS record card SK 26 SW 17.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 79.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <7> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T27.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24836 62910 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM