Monument record MDR8493 - Cairn (T48), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2477 6285]: T48. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 failed to identify this cairn individually from a cluster of cairns (see OS record card SK 26 SW 17). Further investigation in 1966 led to the location of T48. (3) Later surveys describe T48 as: a rectangular cairn 5m by 10m and 0.3m high, wider at the N end (4); 9m by 6.3m and 0.6m high (5); and as a sub-rectangular, flat-topped cairn (6). SK 24812 62856: CAIRN. The cairn is basically sub-rectangular in shape, measuring 10.3m by 7.3m. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. There is evidence of a revetment kerb of smallish stones around the perimeter of the cairn set inside the delineation trench, but is is loose and appears to have been laid after excavation. The major portion of the N end of the cairn has been investigated and possibly relaid, therefore the suggestion that the mound is 'flat-topped could be erroneous. This may be a compound, rather than a single monument, perhaps representing two conjoined mounds. (7)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. pp. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 76.
- <7> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T48.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24812 62856 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM