Monument record MDR8496 - Burial cairn (T20), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2493 6309]: T20. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) It is known that complete excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes during the period 1931-1933. Before excavation it is described as being an undistrubed, well constructed cairn, approx. 2' high with a flattish top. During excavation a total of five cremations were discovered in the main mound, two of which were from under stones, one accompanied by an urn; and two (one accompanied by an urn) which were thought to have been deposited later than the others. Some flints were also recovered. A small extension covering a possible interment was discovered at N end of the main mound. The excavation plan depicts a sub-oval ring of probable kerb stones measuring 16' diameter. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 failed to identify this cairn. (3) A recent study describes T20 as meauring 6m by 5m, possessing a boulder kerb and having been excavated and restored. (4) SK 24933 63120: BURIAL CAIRN. This cairn is sub-oval in shape and measures 5.8m by 4.7m and has a max height of 0.9m. It has a retaining kerb with many of the stones set upright. Circumscribing most of the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. The N extension is a sub-rectangular shaped dishing, 1.4m by 1.1m, its boundaries defined by small loose stones. The cairn lies in a straight line between T43 and T57. (5)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7502 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1939. 'Excavations on Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, N. S. 13. p. 108, 111.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS record card SK 26 SW 16.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <5> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T20.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24934 63120 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM