Monument record MDR8497 - Burial cairn (T26), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2492 6299]: T26. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that complete excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1934-1938. (2) Information gathered from the Heathcote Collection in Sheffield City Museum indicate that fragments of a collared urn and fragments of a bronze pin were recovered. (3, 4) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 failed to identify the remains of this cairn. (5) A later survey identifies a feature at the position for T26 on Heathcote's map, and describes it as an excavated pear-shaped cairn 4.5m by 3m. (6) Further surveys indicate that T26 had been dug prior to the Heathcote excavation and gives measurements of 4.6m by 2.7m and 1.5m height (7); that after excavation it was restored and is described as egg-shaped, measuring 4.5m by 3m (8). SK 24917 62986: BURIAL CAIRN. The monuments is a low, almost pear-shaped cairn, measuring 4.4m by 2.8m and 0.3m high. It is revetted by a kerb of mostly loose, larger stones. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench, however there is a spread of earth which may be part of the original cairn which can be discerned beyond the delineation trench. (9)
- --- SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1793.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR16135 Monograph: Vine, P M. 1982. The Neolithic and Bronze Age Cultures of the Middle and Upper Trent Basin, British Archaolog. Report. BS 105. p. 233.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <5> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS record card SK 26 SW 16.
- <6> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <7> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p.79.
- <8> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <9> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T26.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24918 62986 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:41PM