Monument record MDR8499 - Cairn (T54), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2480 6303]: T54. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 described the cairn as having 'no intelligible remains'. (3) In a later survey the monument is recorded as being a rectangular cairn measuring 5m by 8m, with a lobe. (4) A further survey gives measurements as being 7.3m by 4.6m and 0.4m high. (5) SK 24813 63045: CAIRN. The monument appears as a flattish, sub-rectangular cairn measuring 8m by 5.6m with a max height of 0.5m. There is a small, shallow depression at the centre. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. A number of large stones are evident around the perimeter and appear to define a kerb, many are loose and have probably been resited after excavation. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS Record Card SK 26 SW 37.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 81.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T54.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24814 63046 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM