Monument record MDR8500 - Cairn (T51), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2487 6281]: T51. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 failed to locate this cairn. (3) A later survey describes the cairn as an excavated, irregular-shaped cairn, possibly with several cells. (4) No correlation is made with T51 and no measurements are given. A further survey describes it as being mutilated and being 0.3m high. (5) SK 24856 62830: CAIRN. The cairn is visible as a low stony spread, measuring overall, 6.8m by 6m and 0.3m max. height, contained within an irregular shaped area defiend by a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. No features suggestive of a cellular structure could be identifed. From the confused form of the monument and lack of excavation report, any ascription as to function must be conjectural, although the obvious kerbing and proximity to burial cairns may imply a funerary context for this cairn. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS Record Card SK 26 SW 36.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T51.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24856 62830 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM