Monument record MDR8501 - Cairn (T14), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2432 6281]: T14. This feature appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. This cairn was excavated by the Heathcotes during the period 1930-1934; it is described as being a regular undisturbed cairn with and original height of 2'3". Excavation indicated that the stones forming the mound were laid flat and the internal stratification suggested the mound may have been constructed on a depression. It is noted that a large flat rock was uncovered outside the mound at the SE. No evidence of burial was discovered, although a small charcoal deposit was noted under a flat stoneat the edge. Artefacts comprised 9 flint scrapers, and 20 split quartz pebbles, thought to be pot-boilers. (1) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 failed to locate this cairn (OS record card SK 26 SW 30). It is suggested that T14 is one of the mounds depicted on a late 18th century antiquarian plan in an enclosure on a 'little plain' around the Cork Stone. (3) A later study describes the feature as an excavated round cairn, 4m in diameter. (4) A more recent study describes T14 as having been excavated and restored, now appearing as an irregular mound of 3m diameter. (5) SK 24304 62826: CAIRN. The cairn is approximately circular in shape, measuring 3.4m in diameter and 0.9m high. Much of the perimeter of the cairn is revetted by a kerb of larger stones, many of which are free and standing loose3. At the SE a large flat stone is exposed. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. The fabric of the mound is loose and unconsolidated and has been restored after excavation. (6)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR19134 Unpublished document: Harris, P. 1975. Bronze Age Settlement of the Stanton Moor Area, North Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR1539 Article in serial: Rooke, H. 1789. 'Description of some Druidical Remains on Harborough Rocks etc. in Derbyshire', Archaeologia. Volume 9. p. 206-210.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 75,77.
- <6> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T14.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24304 62826 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM