Monument record MDR8504 - Cairn (T34), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2447 6273]: T34. This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. (1) Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1934-1938. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 failed to identify this cairn. In a later study a feature is listed as being possibly T34 and described as being a round cairn, 3m diameter and 50cm high. (3) A further study provides measurments of 1.8m diameter and 0.3m high. (4) SK 24483 62737: CAIRN. The present cairn measures 3.5m by 3m and 0.3m high and is contained within an oval-shaped area, defined mostly by an inclined laid revetment kerb of moderate sized stones, many of which are loose. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. The survey confirms that the cairn was excavated by the Heathcote's and subsequently re-erected, but the context of the cairn remains conjectural in the absence of any excavation records. (5)
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. pp. 77-110.
- <4> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <5> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T34.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24484 62738 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM