Monument record MDR8506 - Burial cairn (T17), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2496 6305]: T17. It is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes during the period 1931-1933, with the results published. (1) This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor. Before excavation, Heathcote describes T17 as an oval-shaped cairn, 16' long and 8' wide, with outer stones on the N side leaning into the centre; at the S side a large recumbent stone was thought to have been originally upright. The mound had a depression at the centre. Excavation revealed two interments, one under a large stone accompanied by an urn, a flint scraper, four pieces of flint and a perforated bone pin. Inference, in the form of a continuation of the outer ring of stones at the S, that the cairn formed only part of a larger, circular cairn which was unfinished. From within the S area, an urned creamation and a flint arrowhead were recovered from under two flat stones. (2) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1966 failed to identify any remains of this cairn. (3) In a later survey describes an excavated, crescentic cairn. (4) A further survey notes T17 as being kerbed with a diameter of 16'. (5) Barnatt describes the cairn as oval, measuring 4.5m by 2.5m and being partially defined by a boulder kerb and as having been excavated. (6) RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION (7) SK 24940 63059: BURIAL CAIRN The site of the oval-shaped mound excavated by Heathcote is now marked mostly by a similarly shaped, loosely laid stone kerb defining an area 4.8m by 2.8m; the enclosed are is largely devoid of infill. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench.
- <1> SDR7502 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1939. 'Excavations on Stanton Moor', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 60, N. S. 13. p. 105-107.
- <2> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <3> SDR6252 Personal Observation: F1 FDC 16-NOV-66. OS record card SK 26 SW 16.
- <4> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <5> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 78-79.
- <6> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <7> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T17.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24940 63060 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM