Monument record MDR8510 - Burial cairn (T6), Stanton Moor
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
[SK 2475 6287]: T6. This cairn was excavated by the Heathcote's probably during the period 1930-1934. It is described as being a small barrow, 14' in diameter and disturbed at the centre by earlier excavations. From the disturbed area and the spoil, fragments of cremated bone and decorated pottery were recovered. The Heathcote excavations revealed a complex structure to the cairn and 3 further interments. The principal feature was a circle of flattish stones set upright. On the inner side at the S a cremation was discovered. A small annexe outside the ring at the NE contained an urned cremation under a flat stone. Two pieces of flint were also recovered. (1) Subsequent field investigation by the OS Archaeology Division in 1962 failed to identify this cairn, further investigation in 1966 located the cairn and it was surveyed. (2) In a later survey this monument is described as an oval cairn, measuring 6m, with no correlation to T6. (3) A more recent study describes T6 as being 4m across, and 5 sided with one side formed by an earthfast slab. (4) SK 24757 62289: BURIAL CAIRN. The remains opf T6 are represented by an apse-shaped ring of stones, the W side is formed by two large slabs of natural bedrock. T6 measures 5.1m EW by 4.3m NS. Many of the stones within the ring are now loose, probably disturbed by excavation and re-set. The small annexe at the NE noted by Heathcote is evidenced by a small regular depression, approx. 1m square, with a loose line of stones marking the NW and NE sides. Circumscribing the mound is a Heathcote excavation delineation trench. The suggestion that the cairn is five-sided with one side formed by an earthfast slab is a misleading interpretation of these very disturbed remains, which have been subjected to at least two excavation events. (5)
- --- SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1790.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. 21-24. Map, pp.40.
- <2> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. sk2462/2562.
- <3> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143. p. 77-110.
- <4> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <5> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. T6.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24758 62890 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM