Monument record MDR8772 - Lead mining, Lathkill Dale, Youlgreave
Type and Period (7)
- LEAD MINE (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- LEAD WORKINGS (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- OPENCUT (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- COE (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRESSING FLOOR (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Extensive 18th and 19th century lead mining remains within Lathkill Dale. (1-5). This area is a high priority site and includes the scheduled monument of Mandale and Lathkill Mines and Soughs [SMR 11491]. (6). Mining on Lathkill Dale was certainly taking place in the early 18th century and continued until the mid 1770s when little ore was produced from the vein. Mining in this region gained a new lease of life in 1825 when the title to Lathkill Dale Mine was bought by Thomas Bateman and John Alsop and began a new phase of intensive mining. Lathkill Dale Mine ceased large-scale extraction in 1841 to 1842 and in 1854 Lathkill Dale Sough was walled up. Most of the present day visible features date to the early 19th century, although the sough tail and associated features are 18th century in date. Some of the hillocks and the two opencuts at the eastern end may pre-date the 19th century. (7). Features of mining within Lathkill Dale include hillocks, opencuts, a level, coes, dressing floors, a water storage pond and a sough bolt tail at surface. Underground features include vein stopes, a striking chamber and an engine chamber. (8)
- <1> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition.
- <2> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. pp 49-50.
- <3> SDR4740 Article in serial: Rieuwerts, J. 1963. 'Lathkill Dale - Its Mines and Miners', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 2. pp 8-30.
- <4> SDR13564 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1973. Lathkill Dale, Derbyshire, its mines and miners.
- <5> SDR4745 Article in serial: 1969. A survey of Mandale Mine, Bull PDMHS. Vol. 14, No. 1, pp 67-74. pp 67-74.
- <6> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site 78, pp 108-109.
- <7> SDR20239 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 2005. Lathkill Dale National Nature Reserve: Over Haddon, Monyash and Youlgreave Parishes, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2005. pp 52-57.
- <8> SDR21540 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 4, site no. 78.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1942 6592 (2175m by 744m)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2015 9:18AM