Sough intended to dewater Whain [spelling correct?] rake and Hardyhead rake. The first sough is dated 1653, but maybe in existence by 1642, the second is dated 1723. Known as Hardyhead sough, then as Harda Head sough. The Whain sough, measuring ore in 1728 and 1735 to 1737 maybe the same. All soughs would have extended southwards. (1,2).
This comprises an outlet to a sough that is still open. A small entrance opening gives access to a small dry walled reservoir chamber, with an opening at the back leading to the sough tunnel. This runs southwards into the hillside. The sough was in existence by 1653 and is shown on a map of 1690. It was dug to drain Wham Rake, earlier known as Hardall or Hardyhead Rake which is c.250m away. A second sough, now lost and presumably run-in, probably ran from the same point and was either a reinstatement of the earlier sough or more probably a separate level, running south-westwards along Grove Rake to its junction with Wham Rake. This level was started in 1723 and ore was being removed between 1728 and 1737 (1). (3).
Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. pp 44-46.
Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 9.9.1991.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1295 7114 (88m by 90m) (Centre)
TADDINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2015 4:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.