On the 22nd September 1846, a large barrow upon Hind Lowe (sic) was excavated. A flint arrowhead was found near the natural surface. (1)
An earthen barrow, 28 yards in diameter and several feet high was examined in 1862. It is on the summit of a hill called Harley, between the Buxton and Macclesfield roads, near Glutton Dale, is planted with trees and has a lee wall intersecting if from east to west. At least seven cremations were found, one accompanied by a large bead of deep blue glass and a flint flake. (2,3)
A large, round barrow, with some stone content, survives in good condition at SK 0840 6799. Surveyed at 1/2500. (4).
(SK 08406800) Tumulus. (5)
SK 08416803. According to Marsden the seven cremations are of Romano-British date. Some were burned in situ. (6)
Dimensions: L:32.0m; B: 28.0m Barrow excavated by T. Bateman in 1846 and Ll. Jewitt in 1862. A large earthen mound crossed by a field wall and treed. Some Roman cremations were found. The primary deposit was a mass of cremated material on the OLS. Another cremation was surrounded by stones and was accompanied by a blue glass bead and a flint. (7,8)
In the course of excavations in 1862 by L. Jewitt, seven cremations of Romano-British date were identified, including some burnt in situ. (8)
This earthen mound is currently suffering from erosion and has active and old animal burrows. A tumbled wall crosses the mound and stops at its edges. In 1862 it was tree covered, one survives today. Both wall and trees were probably introduced between 1846 and 1862. The barrow edge has been spread to the west by ploughing but elsewhere is unploughed. The barrow was excavated by Bateman on the 22nd September 1846 who recorded it as Hind Lowe. A rude arrowhead of flint was found only. Jewitt and Lucas excavated the barrow (thinking it had never be excavated before due to the confusion over the name). They dug on the 4th, 5th and 14th November 1862. On the 4th November trench one and two were opened. In trench one layers of burnt earth an charcoal were found. In trench two, a heap of burnt bones and charcoal were found in a burnt hollow, on the top of which was a large bead of deep blue glass and in the ashes were flint flakes. There were the remains of other instruments and more layers of burnt earth. On the 5th November, trench three and four were opened. In trench three, a heap of human ashes were found with flint flakes. Another human cremation was found surrounded by a few small burnt stones on the old ground surface. In trench four another cremation was found. On the 14th November trench five to seven were opened. Within each of these trenches one (or possibly more) human cremations were found. (9)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p98.
Article in serial: Lucas, J F & Jewitt, L. 1862-3. 'Notice of the opening of some Celtic grave mounds in the High Peak', The Reliquary. Volume 3,. pp 159-161.
Personal Observation: R1 DJC 22-APR-65.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-FEB-66.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:11.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0839 6799 (27m by 30m) (Centre)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 2:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.