Monument record MDR9034 - Sough Farm, Stanley
Type and Period (1)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
The place name suggest the approximate location of a mine drainage sough, presumably into the rising ground to the south. It is indiacted that soughs were used for draining coal mines in the area by the 14 th c. and includes Stanley in a list of important coal pits in 1610 (2); there is no evidence, however, to relate this reference to Sough Farm. The name is recorded on a plan of 1825 (not further identified). The word can mean 'bog' as well as 'sough'. (3)
- <1> SDR19227 Verbal communication: Anon. Personal communication. Cranstone: 13.12.1987.
- <2> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p. 69-75.
- <3> SDR5962 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p. 608, 799.
|Grid reference||SK 41714 39730 (point)|
|Civil Parish||STANLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 8 2011 4:43PM