Building record MDR9461 - Industrial structures, Middleton Top; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (6)
- ENGINE SHED (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SIGNAL BOX (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CANTEEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATER TANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CONTROL ROOM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RESERVOIR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Engine and boiler houses have been restored and are working in excellent condition as a SAM. The engineman's cottage is now the office for the wardens and is also in excellent condition. The signal indicator and post are original, but not in their original locations. The wheel-pit and rope guides are preserved in good condition under metal grates. The structures that have been LOST include: Locomotive shed Signal box Low stones Workers mess room Water tank Control office Reservoirs - under the present day visitors centre and car-park Engine house at top of Middleton incline on the Cromford and High Peak railway. Gritstone building of 2 storeys with winding engine within. At rear, building with 2 horizontal boilers and chimney stack. Engine built in 1829, in use until 1963 when line closed. Now preserved by DCC and scheduled. Inclined plane is 708yds long at 1 in 8.25 gradient. At lower end of incline is a wheel pit. (11)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 117.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 166.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.14.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 13, 32-34, 37-8, 42-3, 72, 82, 84, 88, 104.
- <7> SDR19340 Bibliographic reference: Blakemore, M & Mosley, D. 2003. Railways of the Peak District. p. 44-45.
- <8> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 23, 25, 27-33, 35, 37-46, 48.
- <9> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 2, 12, 14-15, 40, 42, 48, 50, 65, 79-80, 85, 96.
- <10> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 4-5, 13, 17-18, 21-22, inside front cover.
- <11> SDR4484 Bibliographic reference:
|Grid reference||Centred SK 27571 55167 (101m by 58m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:45PM