Listed Building record MDR9518 - Skew bridge, Longcliffe
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Georgian - 1830 AD to 1830 AD)
Skew bridge set at an angle of the road. The bridge is approximately 11m wide and 6m high. The tunnel is approximately 5.5m wide and 9m long. The footings of the bridge are constructed of large limestone blocks, laid in even courses, and dressed on all but their exterior faces. Many of the faces of the limestone blocks have carved marks upon them, e.g. '#', 'IX' , a downward pointing arrow and a '#' with arrows at the corners. The footings are spanned by four large iron girders with beams and planks of wood laid between them. (1) Bridge, formerly a railway bridge built c. 1830. It is built from rock faced squared coursed limestone abutments with fish-bellied, cast iron beams carrying wooden decking between. There are 20th century metal railings above. This is an early example of cast iron for structural use. (12) Grade II listed cast iron bridge replaced the 1825 original in 1865 (13).
- --- SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 170.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 232-234.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIII.12.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. pp 46, 48.
- <7> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. pp 11-12.
- <8> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p 50.
- <9> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p 10.
- <10> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p 231.
- <11> SDR19348 Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C P & Barnes, P. 1975. Railways in the Peak District. p 17.
- <12> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335149.
|Grid reference||SK 22529 55717 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2020 1:02PM