Monument record MDR9595 - Alfreton Colliery and branch line (remains of), off Meadow Lane, Alfreton
Type and Period (3)
- COLLIERY (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1875 AD to 1938 AD)
- COLLIERY RAILWAY (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
In 1887 the first mine shaft was bored off Meadow Lane by the Blackwell Colliery Company and Alfreton Colliery came into being. In 1912, the Miners Strike began at Alfreton pit, with miners demanding a minimum wage. (1) In October 1966 the following machinery and fittings were noted at the colliery: a horizontal twin cylinder winding engine, 1889, by Olivers; with equilibrium valves and link motion. Two 30" diameter cylinders with a 6 foot stroke. A 16 foot wooden drum. Double twin guides, no tailrods and five Lancashire boilers. (2) The colliery, colliery railway and associated housing first appear on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. The colliery has expanded by the 4th edition 25" OS map of 1937-8. (3-5) Single storey buildings off Meadow Lane are the remains of the pithead baths and workshops of the former Alfreton Colliery. They are now in multiple occupancy and form part of the Meadow Lane Industrial Estate . Adjacent housing was also associated with the colliery. (6)
- <1> SDR19398 Bibliographic reference: Knifton, D. 1985. Alfreton; A Case Study of Industrial Change in the Post War Period.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Alfreton Colliery.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXXV.11/12.
- <5> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR22089 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41675 56428 (700m by 279m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ALFRETON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2015 1:30PM