De Bradelei House, Chapel Street, Belper, originally built in 1834.
Brettle's hosiery warehouse and factory is a large stone-built warehouse. In 1834 the Brettle and Ward partnership broke up and soon afterwards both firms built steam-powered factories, filled with knitting machines making stockings and other garments. Most of the buildings were built between 1834-5 and the two factory extensions were added before 1872. The main building has an austere classical façade with a pediment at each side. Brettle's retained the family name when George Brettle died. By the 1930s Brettle's was the biggest employer in Belper. The firm was taken over by Courtaulds in 1964 and eventually closed down in 1987. The main building was then redesigned for use as Factory Shops and office accommodation under the collective name of De Bradelei House. (1-2)
The gritstone building adjacent to the road [Chapel Street] is the hosiery/frame-work knitting warehouse built in 1834. The later brick-built factory buildings have elegant cast iron window frames date from 1850-1870. The warehouse closed in 1987 and is now used as a factory shop and restaurant . (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21 March 2022 to update text and reformat to current standards
SK 3447 SE 1/11
CHAPEL STREET (West Side ) Mills occupied by George Brettle and Co Ltd (that part along the Chapel Street frontage, bounded on the north by the 1834 building, including northern rear wing, and, on the south, by the recessed, single storey red brick building)
1834. A large stone building, with symmetrical classical facade, along Chapel Street frontage, with adjoining parts to south. Ashlar, slate roof. Three storeys. End bays of northern building of three windows each, slightly advanced under cornice. Thirteen windows in centre section, mostly fixed lights but some sashes with glazing bars. Angle piers, no cornice to centre. Segmental arched entrance with keystone at south side of centre section. Mounting block adjoins this.
Rear, two storey, northern wing has hipped slate roof and similar fenestration except one, round-arched ground floor window on rear elevation. To south of this, is a two storey, three bay stone faced section with three round-arched windows with glazing bars, parapet, red brick rear. Adjoining to south, recessed single storey red brick building of earlier/mid C19, with stone eaves and hipped slate roof. Nine arched windows, with glazing bars.
The 1834 building was originally a warehouse for the domestic frame work knitting industry.
Listing NGR: SK3465947298.'