Monument record MDR9613 - Riddings Ironworks and tramway, aka Alfreton Works, Riddings.
Type and Period (2)
- IRON WORKS (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1860 AD to 1926 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1860 AD to 1926 AD)
- None recorded
Just to the south of the Alfreton - Nottingham Road, between Pye Bridge and Somercotes, lies the site of James Oakes' Riddings ironworks. Later to become Stanton and Staveley, the ironworks opened in 1860 and smelting took place until 1926. In 1972 many of the buildings were still in use, although stripped of equipment. (1-2) Acquired by James Oakes and Co. in 1810 and by Stanton Ironworks in 1920. Smelting had ceased completely by 1920 and in later years it was solely concerned with the production of cast iron pipes, finally closing in the 1970s. Now in multiple use as an industrial estate. (3)
- <1> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Riddings ironworks.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR22089 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). pp. 35.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 43498 52874 (472m by 386m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERCOTES, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2018 2:58PM