About 200 yards north-west of Hammersmith stand the remains of two ashlar millstone grit railway bridges dating to approximately 1890. The lower bridge carried a branch of the Butterley Company's private line (now dismantled) from the Butterley Works to Hartshay Colliery (abandoned), over a footpath that was once the Cromford Canal towpath. The bridge was set at a skew to the railway above and was approximately 20 yards long with a brick arch resting on stone piers. Above this the Midland Railway branch line from Ripley to Pentrich Junction, opened in c. 1890, was carried, also at a skew, over the Butterley Co. line, on another bridge of similar design to the first (1, 2).
Gritstone railway bridge taking the former Midland Rail Ripley-Pentrich Junction extension of 1890 over a farmtrack with residual section of the embankment. The line was closed in the 1930s. (3)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Railway Bridge, Hammersmith.
Article in serial: Fowkes, D & Riden, P. 1972. 'The Ripley-Swanwick-Alfreton Bypass (A61)', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol. 6 (4), pp 125-129.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). pp. 27.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39380 51621 (70m by 60m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2015 1:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.