Building record MDR9654 - Former workers' housing, Chevin Alley, Milford

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

There is a former post office at Milford, situated within the yard of cotton mills. There is an inscription 'post-office' still visible, but no longer used for this. Built of stone. (1) Late 19th and early/mid 20th century maps show a 'P.O.' located at the end of Chevin Alley. (2-5) Strutt's Chevin Alley terrace built c. 1792 is an early example of sloping roof construction of three storeys in coursed stone, with slate roof and brick chimneys. Each house has a single room on each floor lit by a single window. Number 1 adjoins the mill buildings and the extension to the front was added in the 20th century for the village post office. (6) Nos 1-5 Chevin Alley form a grade II listed, late 18th century, three-storey terrace of Strutt housing sloping down hillside between Chevin Road and Derby Road. No. 2 Chevin Road is part of the same block (see below). It appears on the Strutt survey of 1792. It is built of coursed stone with a sloping slate roof overall (No. 1 now roughcast). It has brick chimneys. The houses have one window each with additional top floor windows; generally comprising sashes with late 19th century glazing. The terrace represents an early example of sloping roof construction. There are stone garden walls in front forming the street boundary to the triangle of land between the two roads. (7) No 2 Chevin Road is a grade II listed late 18th-early 19th century house. It forms the rear wing of three-storey coursed stone terrace Nos 1 to 5 Chevin Alley (see above). It has a slate roof, and three windows irregularly placed; generally with modern glazing in earlier sash spaces. The door has a cambered head lining. This building is included in the list for group value and as an integral part of terrace. It is also an early example of a sloping roof. (8) Three-storey workers' housing on Chevin Alley, physically attached to the southwest corner of the mill school [SMR 28779] on the north western side of the mill. They are reminiscent of the Arkwright housing in Cromford. (9)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Post office (1963).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5, 1898.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 78, illust..
  • <7> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE entry no: 1087369.
  • <9> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 5.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3499 4514 (25m by 29m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.