Railway station complex, now fragmented by the creation of an access road to service a small 'industrial estate'. The first Belper railway station was built as part of George Stephenson's North Midland Railway of 1837-1840. The architect was Francis Thompson. Only a few fragments of his once handsome Italianate composition survive, namely one of the stone piers which terminated the four foot high wall that ran along the back of the west side platform and, under the Riverside Veterinary Centre building, the front foundations of the station building itself. The station was relegated to use as a goods station after the opening of a new passenger station in King Street in 1878. Other survivals include a railway goods shed which may date from the 1840s. It is almost square in plan, built of brick with a low parapet to a pyramidal roof, now covered in sheet metal but originally slated. The window openings are wide, with handsome brick segmental arches. These held cast iron windows, some of which survive. On the side that faced the railway there was a wagon entry opening, now blocked. On the opposite side there are signs of a similar opening. On the west side of this building is a wharf wall, in stone. It has been altered on the north side, where there is now a bank, but to the south it has the remains of 'drops' for the loading of coal or other material into railway wagons. (1)
The railway station at Belper was originally situated at the south end of the cutting [see SMR 17011], where its goods shed is now  an industrial unit. The station was moved to its present more central site in 1878. (2)
Unpublished document: Joyce, B. 2004. Notes on the land between Belper & Milford now included within the Belper & Milford Conservation Area.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 3.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3472 4665 (45m by 149m) (Approximate)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 1:17PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.