Monument record MDR9737 - Children's Hospital (site of), North Street, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- CHILDRENS HOSPITAL (Victorian - 1883 AD to 1883 AD?)
- BOWLING GREEN (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD? to 1883 AD?)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Shown on the OS map of c.1880 as a 'bowling green' (1). Later Ordnance Survey maps show that the site had been developed as a children's hospital. (2-3) The Children's Hospital on North Street opened in 1883 and was enlarged in the 1890s. It contained two wards, each heated by open fireplaces. Convalescent children were able to go out onto the lawns outside the building. (4) After the demolition of the buildings and clearance of the site of the former Children's Hospital, an archaeological evaluation and watching brief was undertaken by University of Leicester Archaeological Services in 1999 for Birch Homes Ltd, prior to and during the construction of new housing [see SMR 32481]. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.9.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.9, 1901.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet L.9, 1914.
- <4> SDR19486 Bibliographic reference: Webbe, E W. 1892. Oddfellows' Companion and Guide to Derby. pp 169-170.
- <5> SDR19995 Unpublished document: Higgins, T (ULAS). 1999. An Archaeological Evaluation and Watching Brief at the Children's Hospital, North Street, Derby.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34957 37035 (64m by 60m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 9:22PM