Monument record MDR9789 - St Mark's Church (site of) and Grave Yard, Cromford Hill, Cromford
Type and Period (3)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1877 AD to 1971 AD)
- LYCH GATE (Victorian - 1877 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Victorian - 1877 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Site is shown as 'St. Mark's Church' and 'Grave Yard' on late 19th and early 20th century OS maps. (1, 2, 3) Although St Mary's church [SMR 29759] had been made into a parish church, a Mission church, with burial ground attached, dedicated to St. Mark, was erected in Cromford "for the greater convenience of the inhabitants". (4) St Mark's was erected in 1877 to function as a parish church for Cromford, while its cemetery meant that Cromford inhabitants no longer needed to be buried at Wirksworth. It was later used as a mortuary chapel for the cemetery until 1957. It was demolished in 1971. The lead pigs found in the early 20th century are believed to have been found here rather than at St Mary’s by Cromford Bridge [see SMR 9705]. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <4> SDR348 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby. p. 345.
- <5> SDR20655 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Cromford. Archaeological Assessment Report. Component 34.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2924 5680 (71m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM