Holy Trinity Church, Derby Road, Belper, built in 1848.
'The church was built in 1846-7 at a cost of £2,200.00 which was given by Messrs. Strutt. It is a handsome edifice of stone, in the Early English style, built from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott, and consists of chancel (with vestry), nave (with north aisle and south porch), and bell turret at the south-east corner. The nave is separated from the aisle by five arches springing from octagonal columns, and the west end is crossed by a gallery in which are the organ and choir seats. The roofs are open timbered, and the beams rest on carved figure heads. There is no burial ground; interments take place either at Duffield or Belper.' (1)
Holy Trinity Church was built between 1846 and 1848 and designed by H. Moffat on a site given by the Strutts. It is designed in the early English style and is built of coursed stone rubble with a tiled roof. (2)
The church contains an organ considered to have outstanding musical and historical qualities pertinent to the World Heritage Site. It was built in 1874 by the Derby firm of J M Grunwell and was in several successive locations before being brought to Holy Trinity at Milford in 1994. It is of excellent quality, is very compact, but still manages to have three manual keyboards.' (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 3545 5/182
Milford DERBY ROAD (East Side) Church of the Holy Trinity
GV II Church of England. 1848. Architect William Bonython Moffat, on a site given by Messrs Strutt.
Coursed stone rubble with tiled roof. Early English style. Church aligned north-west /south-east. Buttresses and polygonal north-west turret. North west end has centre and two paired side lancets with roundels above all set in ashlar masonry without surrounds. The nave has four lancets. North aisle. South porch. Lower chancel has single and paired lancets and door. East window to George Herbert Strutt who was born in Milford. Church room and vestry added 1910. Church stands high above Derby Road in embanked churchyard and terminates group here.
Listing NGR: SK3511145370.'
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby. 671.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. 81, illust..
Unpublished document: Tomkins, R (Derby Diocesan Adviser on Organs). 2007. Letter to the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Officer re the Derwent Organ Heritage.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087346?section=official-list-entry.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.