Site is shown as 'Lead Mine' on a late 19th century OS map and as 'Old Lead Mine' on OS maps from the end of the 19th century and the early 20th century. (1, 2, 3)
Engine House (the engine has been moved to Mill Close) and two associated shafts. Possibly 1850 in date. (4)
The ruins of Wakebridge Mine are more complete than many mines in the area. There is an engine house with adjacent shafts, either walled or fenced around, a water storage pond largely filled with rushes, and a workshop now used for farm storage. In 1967 another large shaft was uncovered between the walled shaft and the brook: it was 3 x 3.6m across. The shafts served as haulage, pumping and climbing. Mining has been carried out at Wakebridge since at least the early 19th century. The engine house appears to have been erected on the site of an earlier house with a thatched roof. A circular 'engine race' on a plan of 1829 indicates that winding was by horse gin. A steam engine was installed in 1857. It is said to have been moved to Millclose Mine at Darley Dale in 1889, although as Wakebridge was still working it may have been a little later. At Wakebridge it was used both for pumping water up to the level of Ridgeway Sough, 128m below the surface, and for winding ore up to the surface. In the mid-19th century up to 42 miners were employed and the mine was large enough to employ a carpenter and a blacksmith. Mining continued into the 20th century, mainly for fluorspar and baryte. (5)
Wakebridge Mine has been included in the list of High Priority Lead Mining Sites. The ruins of an engine house and workshop remain, together with a reservoir and shafts. (6)
At Wakebridge Mine are the remains of a mid 19th century engine house to the former lead mine. It had two shafts: a drawing shaft of 660 feet and a climbing shaft. Recent fluorspar working has taken place on the hillside above. (7)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-12.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-12, 1898.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-12.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.5.
Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 2000. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 4th fully revised and expanded edition. p. 177.
Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p. 7, site no. N192.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p. 7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3392 5570 (59m by 89m)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2020 2:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.