Skip to main content

Monument record MDR9833 - Robin Hood Industrial Complex and Saw Mill, Oxhay Wood, Whatstandwell, Crich

Type and Period (5)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1794 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1794 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site
  • World Heritage Site Buffer Zone

Full Description

Hamlet of originally industrial buildings and structures built above the canal and adjacent to a major stream which has been part culverted through the site. The hamlet of largely two-storey buildings is focussed on to the canal wharf, but is now accessed from the road above. The wharf is on the off-side of the canal and there are stone walls on both sides. This is an important late 18th to early 19th century purpose built settlement related originally to the canal and to one of the pre-existing industries which the canal was built to serve. The wharf is possibly original (1792-4), the buildings probably date between 1811 and 1849. No buildings are shown on the 1811 canal survey, only a stone wharf and the stream culverted under the canal. The buildings were probably developed before 1849 when the railway came and took the stone transport business away from the canal. The mill processed high quality gritstone extracted from the Duke of Devonshire's quarries above. Most of the three main groups of structures are still standing, although a mix of stone and brick construction suggests extensive modification of the lower buildings in the 19th century. The building next to the watercourse (OS map 1900), which was a water-powered saw mill has gone. The stream was culverted into and out of the very deep, stone-lined, open wheelpit, which is extant. Early 20th century photographs show iron-frame windows which have now been replaced. The complex is now residential and the wharf has been adapted to garden use. (1) Robin Hood Sawmill was powered by steam and, at times, by Ridgeway Sough (1829), which runs from Wakebridge in to the river below. The sawmill is now a house [2011]. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Feature number: 83.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p. 10.



Grid reference Centred SK 3324 5499 (81m by 71m) (Approximate)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.