A decorative stone arched gateway with steps behind to the north-west, located at the junction of the feeder arm and the second arm of the Cromford Canal at Cromford Wharf. There is evidence that there was a footbridge across the feeder arm from the gateway to the roadside. This gateway and footbridge was built to give the Arkwright family a direct route from Rock House to the canal side and reputedly to the church. The footbridge is indicated on the 1878 OS map, but will have been built after the second arm was constructed in 1824. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2993 5700 (5m by 4m) (Approximate)
CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.