Building record MDR10491 - Derby Grammar School, formerly The Pastures, Littleover, Derby
Type and Period (2)
- VILLA (Former Type) (Georgian - 1790 AD? to 1806 AD?)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1806 AD? to 2050 AD)
In the 1780s Josias Cockshutt built a 3-bay 2½ storey gentleman's house in a small estate. This was of brick with a low parapet and an oak staircase within. Between 1800 and 1806 it was extended by Cockshutt who had inherited a fortune from his wife's family. He built a 5 by 3 bay block adjoining the original house, but forward of it and of only 2 storeys. Further alterations were carried out in 1826 by an amateur architect, Richard Leaper of Derby. It was further enlarged after 1878 by Sir Abraham Woodiwiss, a Mayor of Derby. The resultant effect is pedestrian, if grand, with a regular 8-bay south front and an 11-bay north front, the 3 to the east projecting, being the incorporated 18th century house. Fine brick stables remain. (1) The Pastures [now Derby Grammar School] is a multi-phase classical villa which was originally built in c. 1780. It stands in its own landscaped grounds beside a lake. The house was probably extended in c. 1806 to designs attributed to James Wyatt, but was partly re-fronted in c. 1826. Around the year 1902 the house was remodelled internally and greatly extended for Walter Boden in a conservative style, probably to the designs of Alexander MacPherson. A new wing was built to house a billiard room with guest bedrooms above. In the 1960s the house became a hospital, at which time the main stair was removed and parts of the stable courtyard demolished. At the time of survey in 1994 the house was empty and a housing estate was being constructed in its grounds. Despite institutional alterations, the house retains high quality plasterwork and other fixtures and fittings. (2) The building known as 'The Pastures' in the 19th century began as a modest villa in c.1790 and was rebuilt and extended in 1806 by Richard Leaper for the Peels. A photograph shows it after rebuilding in c.1890 to designs by Alexander MacPherson for Walter Boden, the lace manufacturer. It became a geriatric hospital after the war, then a nurses training centre, and is now [in 1996] a grammar school. (3) Building designed by Richard Leaper; aristocratic amateur architect. (4) For associated parkland/garden, see SMR 32350
- <1> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 59, illust..
- <2> SDR20293 Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1996. Historic Buildings Report, The Pastures, Rykneld Road, Derby.
- <3> SDR19698 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. pp 87-8, illust..
- <4> SDR22376 Article in serial: Craven M. 2013. 'Great Taste and Much Experience in Building: Richard Leaper, Amateur Architect', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 133, pages 189-212.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 31881 33148 (55m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2022 10:46AM