Southwood Farm farmhouse, off Heath Lane, Calke Abbey Estate, Ticknall, an 18th century building.
Southwood Farm is an enclosure farm linked to the division of Southwood Common in c1775, although it is on the site of a much older farm. Primarily a dairy facility, it consists of a group of brick buildings arranged on four sides around a central yard. The farmhouse is of two storeys with Welsh slate roof was built sometime before 1820, as it is shown on a plan of that date. It incorporates a later addition to the west. The large threshing barn, incorporating electrically driven milling machinery, also probably pre-dates the 1820 plan, as do the single and two storey sheds immediately to the south. On the west side of the yard is a range of single storey stables, to which has been attached a later cart shed at right angles. The threshing barn joins at its north end with a low range of single storey calf sheds, the back wall of which is composed of sandstone, possibly part of an earlier enclosure wall. (1)
The findings of an historic fabric survey carried out in 2019 suggested that the farm was initially established in the late 18th century, when Southwood Common was enclosed. The earliest part of the farmhouse is located at the northeast end and consisted of a small three storeyed farmhouse, dating to the last quarter of the 18th century. This consisted of an entrance hall, a single living room and kitchen to the front (south), and single storey structure (possibly originally a scullery) to the rear. Some time in the early 19th century (pre 1824) a single storey was added to the southwest, possibly as a dinning room. Subsequently a second floor was added to the extension, and extra space added to the rear. In the 20th century the farmhouse was extended further to the southwest. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 32 SE 4/85
PARISH OF TICKNALL HEATH LANE (West Side) Southwood Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C18. Red brick with Welsh slate and plain tile roof. Brick gable stacks. Dentil eaves cornice. Two storeys. Front elevation of three bays. Taller symmetrical double fronted part to right has a central segment headed doorway with C19 half glazed door. Flanked on each side by 3-light segment headed casements. Two 2-light segment headed casements above. Left hand range has a lean-to C20 conservatory and a 3-light segment headed casement. 2-light flat arched casement above. Partly blocked staircase window to rear.
Listing NGR: SK3601221249.'
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. 168.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.