Monument record MDR1105 - Barrow, east-south-east of Hollington Barn, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A small barrow, apparently undisturbed, upon a natural elevation on Hollington pasture, near Tissington, was opened 26/06/1845 when it was found that most of the artificial part of the mound had been removed, only human bones, an urn fragment and flint chippings being found. (1) A barrow, on a slight natural hillock, was located at SK 1628 5217, in pasture near Hollington Ring. It is roughly conical and a slight central depression indicates an early excavation. Surveyed at 1:2500. Probably the mound referred to by Bateman. (2) [SK 1628 5217] The barrow is labelled 'Tumulus' on the 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey map of 1978. (3) A barrow 90ft in diameter and 6ft in height has been recorded south of Hollington Barn at SK 1629 5229. [It seems probable that this grid reference is erroneous and that this is the cairn referred to by Authorities 1-3 above]. (4) This mound has been largely ploughed down, leaving a small central area showing signs of disturbance which is too uneven to plough. It is very probable (given the surrounding features) that the mound utilises a natural knoll and is much smaller than it superficially appears. The edge of the barrow proper is very poorly defined. The barrow may well have been that excavated by Bateman on June 26 1845, as supposed by Authority 2, but this attribution is far from certain, as other barrows in the area, now presumed to be destroyed or lost, were opened by Jewitt and Lucas [see SMRs 14304, 14305]. (7)
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p. 78.
- <2> SDR6308 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 11-NOV-66.
- <3> SDR11928 Map: OS 1:10 000 1978.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p. 98.
- <5> SDR9928 Index: NDAT. 1930. 1930. 1930.
- <6> SDR10150 Index: NDAT. 2834. 2834. 2834.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Sites 9:17, 9:32.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1627 5217 (16m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 4:51PM