Site record MDR11632 - Moscow Farm, Derby Road, Belper
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Moscow Farm was built by the Strutt family in c. 1813 to supply produce to their workforce. The large planned steading, largely constructed in gritstone with Welsh slate or Staffordshire plain tiled roofs, is enclosed by perimeter walls. The principal original building consists of a T-shaped two-storey block that included a stable, cart sheds, feed preparation area and first floor storage. Two attached cow-houses form single-storey wings. On the south side of the cow-house was a large fold yard; a second large yard is enclosed to the north of the T-shaped block, which incorporates two forms of fire-proof construction. The first floor is carried on brick jack-arches springing from iron skewback beams - a form of floor construction paralleled in contemporary mills and warehouses built by the Strutts- and the first floor ceiling consisting of groined brick vaults without structural iron. Shortly after constructing the steading, an L-shaped extension to the east cow-house and a linear extension to the west cow-house were added in the same style. About 1830 the west cow-house was further extended so that it too formed an L-shape. An open fronted range, possibly intended as calving pens, was constructed within the fold yard at about the same time. In the last quarter of the 19th century the domestic accommodation was extended by converting part of the fire-proof block and adding a single-bay east extension. An open-fronted hay barn was constructed at the same time to replace storage space lost in the conversion. A number of minor buildings and additions date from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (1-3)
Range of early 19th century estate farm buildings arranged around a courtyard (c. 1815-1829). This is the earliest known Strutt estate purpose-built farm complex and it specialised in milk production. All buildings are now converted to residential use. (4)
Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1993. Moscow Farm, Derby Road, Milford, Historic Building Report. SMR Doc. No. 724.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 79, illust..
Article in serial: Wade Martins, S, Menuge, A and Storer, A. 2003. 'The Strutt farms of the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire', Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group. Volume 17, pp 11-35.
Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer 4-013.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.