Building record MDR11948 - Farmhouse of Chevin House Farm, Chevin Road, Belper
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to 21st Century - 1847 AD? to 2050 AD)
Loading documents & images
Farmhouse of Chevin House Farm, Chevin Road, Belper, a 19th century building.
The building is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 where it is labelled 'Chevin House,' at that time the complex did not include the two listed outbuildings to the north.
Chevin House Farm was identified at SK 3412 4640 during survey in 2008. The Strutts established model farms to feed the influx of workers into their mills and Chevin House farm was a Strutt establishment. The farm is shown on the 1843 enclosure map but not on the 1791 tithe map. The farmhouse and retaining walls are made of gritstone with evidence of extension upwards in the farm walls with different stone work visible. The original timbers in the roof are exposed internally. The barn retains evidence of its use as 1890s stables, the original stalls with red/brown tiles and cast-iron tethering posts in situ. (1)
Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills, World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. B1/9, Fig. 40, Fig. 41, Fig. 42.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.