Monument record MDR1249 - Lead mining, Knotlow Mine (aka Whale Mine - Crimbo Pipe), Monyash
Type and Period (7)
- LEAD MINE (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHAFT (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD? to 1900 AD)
- HORSE WHIM (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD? to 1900 AD)
- COE (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD? to 1900 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD? to 1900 AD)
- CHIMNEY (Stuart to Victorian - 1702 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Fine hand-picked levels driven in solid limestone. (1,2). 17th to 18th century lead mine originally with climbing shaft and engine shaft. Series of natural caverns and pipes as well as worked out veins and deeds. Several coffin levels. (3). Knotlow Mines can be traced from at least 1702 to the latter half of the 19th century. The entrance series of Knotlow Mine were worked in the Whalf Pipe vein, while the further reaches were worked in the Crimbo vein. (4). Several pipeworking hillocks and outcropping pipe and vein workings. The south-western end lies within a belland yard. There are two surviving gin circles and a ruined protecting wall and two, possible, ruined coes. At one shaft hillock there is the base of a chimney and the stonework of two demolished steam engine houses. The underground features include pipe and vein workings, hand picked climbing shafts, larger engine shafts, coffin levels and access levels. (5).
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XXII.16.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Whale Mine - Crimbo Pipe.
- <3> SDR9838 Index: NDAT. 1566. 1566.
- <4> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 93-95.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site 69, pp 97-98.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 143 674 (374m by 364m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MONYASH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2013 10:37AM