The church, dedicated to St Anne, is in the later English style, and consists of chancel, nave, side aisles, and a tower surmounted by a low but beautiful octagonal spire, flanking the west end of the north aisle. It contains a peal of six bells. The church underwent thorough restoration in 1853. The unusual position of the tower at the end of the north aisle seems to show that the present north aisle was the nave of an earlier church. The weather moulding stones of the original high pitch roof are still visible on the east side of the tower. The chancel was rebuilt in 1853, and almost hides the old bell cote on the gable of the nave. A monumental slab or coffin lid, of considerable antiquity, discovered during the alterations, is built in to the wall of the porch. On it are a sculptured cross and two keys. The significance of the latter is not known with certainty, but they probably indicate someone in authority. The font is ancient, and there are two very old oak chairs in the chancel. The dog whip, with which old canine intruders were whipped out of the church, is still preserved in the vestry, and we believe is the only one now in existence. (1)
A parish church dating to the 13th and 15th centuries, with restoration work carried out in 1852-3 by Paxton and Stokes. The chancel was rebuilt in 1911. It is built of coursed sandstone and sandstone ashlar. The roofs are hidden behind crenellated parapets. The church comprises north west steeple, clerestoried nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and south vestry. There is a 13th century tower now standing at the west end of the north aisle. Two stages are divided by a chamfer. The building has angle buttresses. To the north is a square clock face dated 1759. On the east face is the gable line of the former nave roof and a circular clock face inscribed VICTORIA 1897. Inside, there is a moulded and filleted south doorway, with a studded oak door. There are stone seats in the porch and a 15th century roof with moulded and chamfered beams. Re-set in the west wall is a grave cover with a floriated cross and other fragments. There are three-bay arcades, with circular piers (one octagonal pier to the north) and polygonal responds. There is also a 19th century marble pulpit, with a carved quatrefoil with the Lamb of God. The church is entered from the nave and by steps up through a doorway in the north aisle. There is a plain octagonal font, and early 20th century chancel furnishings, including choir stalls, clergy desks, communion rails etc. There is also a good Dec style screen, with a cornice and parapet. There is 19th century stained glass in most windows; the best of which is in the west window of circa 1859, possibly by Wailes. (2)
The bells of St Anne's are of historical significance. Two bells date from 1520 and 1560 and are founded by Ralph I and Ralph II Heathcote. Another dated to 1620 was founded by Godfrey Heathcote and is a late example by the founder. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'PARISH OF BASLOW & BUBNELL CHURCH LANE SK 27 SE (South Side) 3/18 Church of St Anne 12.7.67 GV II*
Parish church. C13, C15, restoration 1852-3 by Paxton and Stokes, chancel rebuilt in 1911. Coursed sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Roofs hidden behind crenellated parapets. North west steeple, clerestoried nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and south vestry. C13 tower now standing at the west end of the north aisle. Two stages divided by a chamfer. Angle buttresses. Blind to north, with a square clock face dated 1759. To the west a pair of trefoiled lancets and a single lancet above. To the south partly engaged by the nave and with a single chamfered doorway. On the east face is the gable line of the former nave roof and a circular clock face inscribed VICTORIA 1897. Stone broach spire with 2-light gabled lucarnes low down and small single light lucarnes above. Weathervane. North aisle of two bays with C19 gothic 2-light windows with bar tracery. At the east end a buttress of two set-offs. 2-light east window with C19 bar tracery. Tall chancel rebuilt in 1911. Windows with bar tracery. Two 2-lights to the north and one similar to south, and a 3-light to the east. Hoodmoulds with headstops. Low buttresses with two set-offs. The south aisle has a 2-light west window with Dec tracery. To the south, gabled porch with plain double chamfered entrance and flanking buttresses. To the right a single light and a 2-light window both flat arched and deeply set with cusped ogee lights. The south vestry to the east continues the line of the aisle and has a similar 2-light window and a plainly chamfered priests doorway. 2-light window with bar tracery to the east. The west window of the nave is of 3-lights and Cl9. The nave clerestory has three windows to north and four to south, all flat-arched with two cusped arched lights with short mullions rising from the apex of the arch. Two similar clerestory windows on the south side of the chancel. Battlements and crocketed pinnacles to nave, chancel and aisles. Interior: Moulded and filleted south doorway with studded oak door. Stone seats in the porch and C15 roof with moulded and chamfered beams. Re-set in the west wall is a grave cover with floriated cross and other fragments. Three bay arcades with circular piers (one octagonal pier to north) and polygonal responds. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. C19 double chamfered tower arch, the inner order on moulded polygonal capitals and polyganal responds. Two bay chancel south arcade with octagonal pier and polygonal responds. Moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. C19 marble pulpit with carved quatrefoil with the Lamb of God. Entered from the nave and by steps up through a doorway in the north aisle. Plain octagonal font. Early C20 chancel furnishings including choir stalls, clergy desks, communion rails etc. Good Dec style screen with cornice and parapet. Brass eagle lectern. C19 stained glass in most windows, the best in the West Window of c1859, possibly by Wailes. At west end of the north aisle are benefaction boards.
Listing NGR: SK2518072331.'