The Baptist Chapel appears on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1)
The Baptist Chapel on Queen Street was built in 1858, to supersede an older chapel on South Street, which dated to 1784 [see SMR 21681]. (2)
The General Baptist Chapel on Queen Street was built in 1858 to replace the one on South Street [SMR 21681]. It has rendered walls and a slate roof. The sides and semi-circular east front have a continuous plain arcade of 14 bays, with tall round-arch windows in each bay. There is a triple-arched porch partly covering the two front bays, with a date tablet above. (3)
A grade II listed Baptist Chapel dating to 1858. It is built of red brick with chamfered stone sills, and has a Welsh slate roof. There are low, single-storey bays at each end that have hipped roofs. There is a date plaque inscribed 'GENERAL/BAPTIST CHAPEL/ERECTED/ AD 1858'. See list description for more details. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 538.
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 50.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352258.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4642 4156 (30m by 16m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2014 5:12PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.