The General Baptist Chapel on South street was erected in 1784. It was enlarged in 1842, and will now seat 500 . (1)
The building is labelled as a Sunday School on the 1st edition OS map of c. 1880. It is labelled as a chapel on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, and the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 19th century. (2-4)
The former General Baptist Chapel on South Street was built in 1784. The Baptists formerly met at Little Hallam as part of the Kegworth Church, but in 1785 they became independent. In 1858, a new chapel was built in Queen Street [see SMR 21680]. This chapel was later used by the Elim Pentecostal Church. It is a plain structure of brick, with a rendered gabled front, and a slated roof. The front elevation has two tiers of windows and is of three bays. The original building of 1784 was enlarged to the east in 1842 by the addition of minor rooms. It was also heightened and partly refronted. Two original wide windows remain in each side wall. The interior has a gallery around three sides that was added in c. 1795-8, but has otherwise been refitted. Demolition of the chapel was proposed in 1975. (5)
Nazarene Chapel is a grade II listed non-conformist church dating to 1784. It was altered in the mid 19th century. It is built of red brick, which is painted to the west. It also has painted stone dressings, and a Welsh slate roof. It is of two storeys, with a three-bay west elevation that has a pedimented gable. There is also a 19th century gabled porch. The interior has a gallery around three sides, supported on cast iron columns. See list description for more details. [The building was listed in 1975, potentially in response to the threat of demolition mentioned above]. (6)
The Baptist Chapel on South Street was built in 1784-5 and extended in 1842. To the south side of the chapel, on the site of Robey Yard, stood the original Sunday school rooms [now demolished]. Following the opening of the Queen Street Baptist Chapel [SMR 21680], the former chapel itself was used as a Sunday school. (7)
The listed building name of 'Nazarene Church' may potentially be misleading, as the present Nazarene Church is on Corporation Street (see SMR 21682). The Ilkeston and District Local History Society describes the Church of the Nazarene as opening on South Street in 1940, before later moving to the former Wesleyan Chapel on Corporation Road in 1964. It therefore appears likely that the former Baptist Chapel was used by the Nazarene Church between 1940-1964. (7-8)
The building no longer appears to be in use as a place of worship . (9)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 281.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 50.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352259.
*Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2004. Ilkeston's Churches and Chapels Past and Present. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/Churches%20and%20Chapels.htm. Website viewed 08/07/2011.
Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4656 4144 (19m by 10m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2014 5:12PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.