Monument record MDR14323 - The Old Pottery, Abbott Street, Heanor
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY WORKS (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1896 AD to 1921 AD)
- None recorded
Abbott Street Pottery is a rectangular brick-built building, which, because of the slope of the hill, is single storey facing the road and two storey to the rear. It has curved headed windows along the side. (1) The grid reference given by Authority 1 is SK 442 464. This is not on the correct street. Looking at the OS Mastermap, 'The Old Pottery' is labelled on Abbotts Street, further to the west at SK 432 464. Google Maps Street View confirms this as the correct building. (2, 3, 4) This building first appears on the 3rd edition 25" OS map; it is not on the 2nd edition 25" OS map. It's date of construction is therefore between 1896 and 1921. (5, 6)
- <1> SDR22089 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). pp. 12-3.
- <2> SDR20769 Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <4> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 13/01/2016.
- <5> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4318 4642 (11m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:40AM