Somersall Hall, Somersall Hall Drive, Chesterfield, in part a 17th century hall, with 1763 construction.
14th century remains have been discovered in excavations here beside the River Hipper. Somersall is referred to in 1318 and became a seat of the Clarkes of Somersall in the middle of the 16th century. The oldest part of the present hall is the low, 17th century rear wing with mullioned windows. The major block is a tall, stone house of 1763 facing east complete with Gothic columned porch. The last Clarke died only 23 years after the new house was completed, it passing by marriage to Walter, Earl of Ormonde and then sold in 1824. Though separated from its fertile, valley-bottom lands, the hall, 18th century coach house, stables and barn have been fully restored and form individual houses. They form a pretty grouping of buildings that represent occupation of the site for almost seven centuries. A pair of lodges (Grade II listed) guard the entrance to the former drive to Somersall Hall. They are early 19th century, single storey with hipped stone roofs and diagonal chimney shafts. As the drive became busy and metamorphosed to Somersall Lane the gate-posts were removed and re-used by Colonel Victor Robinson at Chander Hill, where they remain. (1)
From the 13th to mid 16th centuries the Shawes and Somersalls held the estate later enjoyed by the Clarkes. The Clarkes (possibly Nicholas Clarke) bought the estate some years before 1580. It was held by the Clarkes, and their family connections with the Godfreys and Gilberts, until Marie Catherine Price Clarke died in 1817. The Clarkes showed in each generation a determination to increase their financial and social position and this they did by the manipulation of property, transactions in land, coal, iron and possibly quarrying, and the corn trade, but above all by the marriages they arranged for their children. After the Clarkes settled at Chilcote, and later bought Sutton Scarsdale, Somersall was let to various tenants. A relation of theirs, George Milward, lived in the old house till 1716. In the 1760s the present house was built, and probably some of the stone and the window mullions were used in its' construction. Tenant farmers occupied it until the Ormonde estates were sold in 1824, which ended the Clarke association with Somersall and Derbyshire. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SOMERSALL LANE 1. 5169 (West Side) Somersall Somersall Hall SK 3569 8/46 13.3.68
2. 1763 with part of C17 old hall adjoining to the rear. Stone rubble with coped gable ends. Stone slate roof. Eastern facade 3 storeys. 3 windows with plain stone architraves. Generally sashes with glazing bars but C19 canted bay to southern ground floor. Centre door with glazed ornamental fanlight Gothic clustered columned porch of stone, ornamental entablature and battlements. Early C19 2 storey northern extension. 2 sashes with plain, stone architraves. Rear elevation with plain stone mullioned windows. Rear Cl7 wing of 1½ storeys with 2 stone mullioned, 3 light windows.
Listing NGR: SK3529469989.'