A partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard with multiple yards and additional detached elements to the main plan. There are tertiary elements to the main plan, incorporating a U-plan regular courtyard. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. with one or more of the structural elements dating to the 19th century, there has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1-4)
A historic building recording and an accompanying detailed photographic record was produced in 2016. The report summarised: 'The complex was built in the early 19th century as a coaching inn as indicated by historical records. …In the central range of the eastern wing (Block 2) there is evidence of this use in the form of three stable doors on the west elevation. Although these have been partially blocked, modifying them into windows, the outline of the original door is prominent. It suggests horses would have been stabled in this building and the upper floor of Block 2 could have been used as a hayloft. The complex remained as a coaching inn until the mid 19th century when it became a residential place as specified by contemporary trade directories. White's directory issued in 1857 mentions Ivy House… as "Ivy House, formerly the Bull's Head Inn, …is now a private residence dwelt in by Kirkham Joseph." This conversion led to modifications of the complex. The stable doors in the west elevation of Block 2 were partially blocked to create windows. …In the late 19th century Ivy House complex developed into a farmstead as Kelly's directory of 1891 reports, "Stubbs William, farmer, Ivy House"…A milking parlour was built into Block 4 with a concreted pit in the centre. Although the equipment for milking is no longer present there are markings on the north and south elevations indicating where it would have been. On the ground floor of Block 3 there is a raised concrete platform with partitions which would have been used for livestock, this also occurs in Block 5. It has also been suggested that Block 7, which abuts Block 5 on the west and south elevations, was likely to have been a pig sty. In addition, it is proposed that the central range of the eastern wing (Block 2) was converted into a threshing barn containing a central threshing floor with opposing doors for winnowing. …In more recent times the complex has undergone neglect and is currently vacant.' (5) Be aware that this 2016 report was amended in 2019.
Note, however, that a local conservation officer questioned the interpretation of the historic building analysis: '…It [the previous historic building analysis] suggests that the buildings were built as a coaching inn, then became a private residence, then became a farmstead only in the late 19th century. Looking at the buildings, I strongly suggest that it would have been as a substantial farmstead right from the start, with a public house included within the farmhouse as an "extra", …The census returns included in the analysis show that it was already a farm in the 1840s, and the statement that the pub had been converted into a "private residence" in the mid 19th century does not preclude it being a farmhouse… central block in the east range…the evidence suggests that it was converted from a threshing barn, not to one. Few conventional threshing barns were formed after about say 1880. And can the ground floor of this building really be interpreted as stables? …looks more like a mid to late 19th century conversion to a cow house with feeding and manure passages…' (6)
A photographic record of the building was carried out in 2011. (7)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 15 NE PARISH OF HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER BUXTON ROAD 10/97 (East Side) Range of Barns and two stables east of Ivy House II Farm GV
Barns and stable blocks, now farmbuildings. Early C19. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Hipped slate roof with lead flashings to east and north. Asbestos sheets to south range. Two storeys, U-plan. Advanced central section to east range. Three quoined doorcase with rebates, all now blocked. Above northern door, similar doorcase. To south, timber lintel in stonework with flush hayloft opening beyond. To either side, quoined doorcases, with flight of stairs beyond to similar upper doorcases. Projecting wings to either side,of three bays. Quoined doorcases with flush windows to sides. Blocked flush hayloft openings over. To south, additional lean to. Included for group value only.
Listing NGR: SK1656259416.'
Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
Unpublished document: Mora-Ottomano, A and E Grange (ARS Ltd). 2016. Ivy House Barns and Stable Complex, Biggin-by-Hartington, Newhaven, Derbyshire: Historic Building Recording. 45.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.