Building record MDR2070 - The Hall, (formerly Longstone Hall), Main Street, Great Longstone
Type and Period (2)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to Early 20th Century - 1700 AD to 1929 AD)
- HALL HOUSE (Former Type) (Medieval to Stuart - 1300 AD to 1700 AD)
- Listed Building (II*)
(SK 19857195) The Hall. (1) Grade II* listed Hall (Included in the Interim List as Longstone Hall). An impressive house of mid 18th century with earlier wing on left. The main block is of brick with stone dressings. Barn at The Hall: probably 17th century. Grade II listed. Stone with stone slated roof. Stables at The Hall: probably 17th century. Grade II listed. Stone with stone slated roof and ocped gables. Gate Piers at the Hall. Grade II listed. 18th century. Square on plan. Stone with channelled masonry, moulded caps and large ball finials. (2) The Hall (formerly listed as Longstone Hall): Grade II* small country house. 17th century and 1747. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings to earlier part and rubble limestone and brick with gritstone dressing to later part. Stone slate roof to earlier part, roof hidden behind parapets to later part. South elevation has lower 17th century wing to left. All much restored in 1929 by Sir Hubert Worthington. Upper Stables at the Hall: Grade II listed. Stable block. Early 19th century. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Cement tile roof. Gate piers, attached boundary walls, pump and trough at the Hall: Grade II listed. Mid 18th and 19th century. Rubble limestone and gritstone ashlar. The wall to the east continues as an enclosure to a walled garden and has an 18th century gateway. Another wall runs north towards the Hall, dividing the drive from the enclosed garden. The wall follows the road to the west to the entrance to the stableyard, where there is another pair of gate piers. Next to them, a 19th century fluted metal pump and a stone trough. Lower Stables at the Hall: Grade II listed. 17th and early 19th century. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roof with stone coped gables. (3) Originally Longstone Hall was a larger version of Eyam Hall, but was replaced in 1747 by a brick house, unusual in the Peaks. The building has three well spaced bays and is 2½ storeys. The house was built by Thomas Wright. A house was recorded here in 1300. (4)
- <1> SDR11941 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1975. 1:10000.
- <2> SDR5093 Bibliographic reference: 1963. DOE (HHR) Bakewell, RD, Derbyshire. pp 28-29.
- <3> SDR5236 Bibliographic reference: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1985. DOE (HHR) Dist of West Derbyshire. pp 5-7.
- <4> SDR4305 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p46.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1985 7195 (21m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2015 2:35PM