Monument record MDR2192 - Cairn, Win Hill, Aston
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SK: 19 85. Win Hill, Cairn. A probable food vessel covered by a flat stone, was found on the ground surface, beneath a large heap of stones, during the removal of the stones c.1778-9; a little to the E. of Win Hill Point or Pike. The pot had herringbone decoration and contained human bones. (1-3) The find is now held by Sheffield City Museum (Weston Park), Acc.No.J.93.827. The Museum have no siting evidence. Perambulation of Winhill Pike revealed no evidence of a cairn. (4) The map reference of SK 1868 8509 given by a previous authority (NAR: OS: SK 18 NE 5) is spurious. The original Bateman sources suggest a site further east not located and probably destroyed. (5) The "urn" found in 1778, has been suggested to be Grooved Ware, however, whilst the shape and decoration are correct (but derived from a very crude drawing), the rim profile suggests a Food Vessel. (8) The site was noted by Bateman as "a large heap of stones" which was removed, but no mention is made of this occurring for its stone content. (9) A report of "urn" sherds, ashes and antler tines found prior to 1848, which was previously linked to this site (SMR 609), may have been from elsehwere nearby and has therefore been entered separately (see SMR 625). (10)
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p21.
- <2> SDR3439 Bibliographic reference: Britton, J & Brayley, E. 1802. Beauties of England and Wales, Volume 3.
- <3> SDR15467 Index: Preston, F (Hunter Archaeological Society). 1956. Transcript from the Hunter Archaeological Society Index.
- <4> SDR6211 Bibliographic reference: F1 FDC 07-SEP-65.
- <5> SDR14323 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0117 (a). 0117 (a).
- <6> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p255.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p11.
- <8> SDR8148 Bibliographic reference: Kinnes, I. 1979. Round Barrows and Ring Ditches in the British Neolithic.
- <9> SDR2570 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 1989. PDBS, site 28:14, (DAAC).
- <10> SDR13338 Bibliographic reference: R4 16-JUN-95.
- <11> SDR9163 Correspondence: Bartlett, J (Sheffield City Museum). Correspondence regarding a possible cairn at Win Hill, Aston.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 19 85 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2015 2:57PM