Mount Stables, North Avenue, Ashbourne, a mid 19th century building.
The building is not shown on the Plan of the Township of Ashborne, 1830, where the area is labelled 'Bowling Green.' It first appears on the Tithe map of 1849, where according to its apportionment, Plot No. 24 was a bowling green and a public house. (1-3)
On the 1st edition OS 25" map of 1880 it is labelled 'Bowling Green (PH).'
It continues to be labelled that way on all available later mapping, and is currently in use as the 'Bowling Green Pub and Steakhouse' according to current Google imagery (Streetview).
By the time the 2nd edition OS 25" map of 1900 was produced, the bowling green had been redeveloped as an extension of the garden of The Mount, the neighbouring house.
Please note that although modern mapping labells the building 'Mount Stables,' it has been a Public House throughout its history.
Map: Unknown. 1830. Plan of the Township of Ashborne, including portions of the adjoining Hamlets respectfully inscribed to the Freeholders and Inhabitants thereof, by the Pupils of Mrs Jones Academy, Ashbourne, Surveyed and Drawn 15th December 1830.
Map: 1849. Tithe map of Ashborne. 24.
Unpublished document: Garwood, A (PCA). 2016. Historic Building Recording of The Mount, No. 4 North Avenue, Ashbourne, Derbyshire, DE6 1EZ.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.